CIWL carriages in Greece

Re: CIWL carriages in Greece

Postby jsimantov » Thu May 28, 2015 1:37 pm

Hi All,

I'd like to go back to BarpaPanagos's posting of coach ΣΥφπτ 19905 at the MAI.

I don't know in what state this coach is nowadays (maybe an Athens-based friend can check... ;) , but we must do everything possible to save this coach... The last time I saw it, (about ...30 years ago!!) it was reverently referred to by the MAI staff as the 'Venizelos' coach( for our non-greek friends, Venizelos was prime minister in Greece in various periods during the first half of the century; his name is still almost revered in Crete, his homeland).
So, SEK lore used to say that this coach was part of the train that took Venizelos to Switzerland to sign the Lausanne Treaty...
Sorry, can't confirm, I was born 30 years later, but still I believe we must save this coach...

Iossif
jsimantov

Postby Rainerg » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:17 pm

Hello

who can tell me what 2 CIWL coaches are behind the blue OSE A302 ?
One must be a WSP and one should be a restaurant, but what coach numbers (ex.CIWL)

all pictures are from Phil`S loco page and are made in 2000.

Have there always been only 2 blue coaches or sometimes even more of these ...?

If yes what coaches have been added ....?
thank you for any help !!
Rainer
Rainerg

Postby Dirk Frielingsdorf » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:00 pm

Hello Rainer,

these cars should be the ex-excursion-cars, former 4001 (WR ex WSPc 4001 Flèche d'Or) and 3937 (ex WL Type YT, transferred to YU), which we talked about a few pages before and now stored in Drama:

viewtopic.php?p=3292#p3292
Dirk Frielingsdorf

Postby Pierre B » Mon May 21, 2018 7:30 pm

I came across this today:

Passengers Boarding Passenger Cars Pictures _ Getty Images.jpg

May 04, 1951 Passengers boarding the Orient Express. Photo gettyimages.

As with many pictures on gettyimages the author of the picture is unknown, as is the author of the caption, however 1951 does seem possible (SNCF DEV carriage on the left, in service as of 1949, and JDZ carriage on the right, became JZ in 1954).

Any ideas on the Αθήνα Athènes sign, which looks slightly artificial, as if it has been added to the original picture by computer, or maybe it's just an impression?
Pierre
Pierre B

Postby Georgegala » Tue May 22, 2018 12:48 pm

Hi guys,

I am 90% sure that it is a real sign.
Σ.Π.Α.Π. FOR EVER
Georgegala

Postby jsimantov » Tue May 22, 2018 9:42 pm

Hi everyone,

It's hard to say if the panel is genuine; the font looks ok, but what puzzles me is its size, cleanliness(!) and orientation....
Another interesting detail is the iron bridge in the back. In those days major passenger trains were leaving Athens station from the first track, and I would be very surprised to see a prestige train like the Simplon Express (because that's the train that used to run in those days) leaving from the third track, from where the pic was allegedly taken...

In conclusion, either this pic was not taken in Athens, or it could be an interesting photo of what could be an unusual situation!

I'd tend to follow rather Pierre's impression...

Iossif
jsimantov

Postby Georgegala » Wed May 23, 2018 3:05 pm

jsimantov wrote: this pic was not taken in Athens

It must be Athens, as there was a bridge like that over the tracks at the back and the lights remind me some old photos.
Σ.Π.Α.Π. FOR EVER
Georgegala

Previous

Return to Greek Standard Gauge Passenger Carriages