OSE Stations & Facilities

Re: OSE Stations & Facilities

Postby BalkanExpress » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:12 pm

Do you still have there so many people at home???

So long time... needs to sell out all your stock, quickly and cheaply ;)

Not joking, please, continue with this one. Seems very interesting...

You know Christmas days have restfull ones...

regards

BalkanExpress
BalkanExpress

Postby christo » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:55 pm

OK BalkanE, all visitors are now gone so here goes the story:

Before Mem moved to the UK, I used to go visiting him every Easter holidays in Greece. Guess what was my job? :D Anyway we always used to go exploring together the railways with a bike or a car and ending up being chased by vicious dogs and even more vicious railway employees and officials in general. Quick thinking and wit was imperative for survival.

So we drove through the fields from the south with a rough notion of where the railway line may be. We were lucky to see the station and we rode to it. The station master who saw us coming through the fields became very alarmed and begun shouting accompanying his words with threatening gesticulation. I approached him and said that I am a friend of the Railways. My words did not calm him. I proceeded in saying that I was a UK resident. That statement of mine stopped him shouting. He asked me where in the UK I lived because his son was studying in Brighton. I told him that I lived 30 miles away from Brighton. His attitude changed at once. He called another person who worked near by to make some coffee for us and he invited us to photograph anything that went by. However, being extremely hungry and seeing Mem's reluctance to extend our visit, we stayed a little longer, saw (but not photographed) a few trains and we left for the near by village for lunch.

christo.
christo
Site Admin

Postby BalkanExpress » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:03 am

Lovely story. Thank you for sharing, Christo

Regards

BalkanExpress
BalkanExpress

Postby BalkanExpress » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:39 am

Well, It's my turn, and now I have time to tell you about my last trip to Greece, when I definetively began to collect Greek trains

The serie of pictures I'll post will be spread through various topics but all related between each other.

Those pictures are just part of my trip, in Salonica zone and further North that I'll explain and you will understand in advance; Pictures from Athens and Peloponesus, Larissa, Volos, etc. are under recovery nowadays (as known, all pictures are kept in a damaged hard disc).

We will call this serie of pictures the 'KFOR serie'. Now you will understand why.

Let's start.

Coming from Veria and Vergina, I arrived Salonica from the motorway and, just passing close to a big clasification station

As I had to return my rental car and I won't be able to take pictures in advance in distant stations (and I'll be involved with heavy cultural visits), I decide to enter in the station, just amazed with how much stock I'd take pictures in just one station (previous 'museums' had been visited)

When entering the station, a singular view caught my attention

IMG_7978.JPG
KFOR serie. Picture 1. A train at Salonica clasification station at sundawn

Well, at first sight I can definetively recognize that military material but I was excited that I have found close to me some old locomotives in old logos (I came looking for winged logos as I saw in previous trip, but 'modernisation' was so advanced), so I decided to left the military train for a while and take pictures of the oldest things i saw.

Will continue shortly

Regards

BalkanExpress, enjoys waching his holidays pictures
BalkanExpress

Postby christo » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:20 am

Well BalkanExpress, its my turn to thank you for sharing your precious memories and photos with us. This gratitude is from all our members and the 400+ guests who freely visit on a daily basis to see our photos and read our comments.

The fat controller.
christo
Site Admin

Postby christo » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:48 am

BM CG PEST Apr90g.jpg

Photo Balkanmodels: April 1990 PES Thessaloniki. Post number 6,000, so that we don't take ourselves too seriously :lol:. I was told that the particular building stood there since CO days. I wonder if has survived or if it gave way to the new highway, as is the way with Greek progress.

christo.
christo
Site Admin

Postby BarbaPanagos » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:25 pm

Ok, you were fast this time :mrgreen:

and a Ladies restroom from Mili station to follow :P

Μύλοι 21.2.2010.JPG
BarbaPanagos

Postby christo » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:27 pm

http://www.pecopublications.co.uk/Conti ... -2016.html

Lovely article by Yiannis on Greek (SPAP) stations and facilities. Worth buying a copy.

christo.
christo
Site Admin

Postby christo » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:12 am

BM 14.4.16 f.JPG

Photo Balkanmodels: April 2016 at Kalamata station. Words cannot describe the sadness :cry: and anger :evil: of this closed but beautiful looking station. And if I tried, I am sure my friend BarbaP will send my post to the small talk topic.

christo.
christo
Site Admin

Postby christo » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:21 am

BM 14.4.16 e.JPG

Photo Balkanmodels: April 2016 at Kalamata station. The station building viewed by its right hand side.

christo.

PS. Funny :? I thought I posted this photo yesterday.
christo
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Greek Stations, Facilities, Equipment & Miscellaneous