OSE Ψ refrigerators - Model upgrading & details by P87 - standards

OSE Ψ refrigerators - Model upgrading & details by P87 - standards

Postby Dimitris » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:59 pm

Hello people.

I attach some pics of my upgraded PROTO: 87 2-axled refrigerator wagon (Ψ3 named by ΟΣΕ). I am very new in PROTO: 87, so it's very logical to make mistakes. I like PROTO: 87 upgrading of rolling-stock, as I see a model train to operate to the prototype in scale.
As you know PROTO: 87 concentrates on operation of wheel/rail exactly to the prototype: working-suspension mainly in 2-axled wagons, exact wheels, exact rails, exact couplings, etc. The track I use (BAHNSINN, Germany) consists of 3 x 30meters sections = 3 x 344.82mm track-lengths (In Greece, we used lengths of 18-36meters - french system, however with german and french permanent way / track materials), with:
- code 70 nickel/silver rail-profile = S49 rail-profile of 1960s (49.43kgrs/m).
- cast brass fastenings of the type K: Klemmplatte (used in Greece either with wooden or with steel sleepers)
- laser-cut wooden sleepers

A. The upgrade of the buffer-beam (plank) (Pufferbohle) consists of:
1. Screw-couplings (Schraubenkupplungen / Atellage a vis) out of brass, blackened, from WEIMANN HO (1: 87).
2. Hooks out of 0.3mm-brass wires - glued underneath the coupling-plates (Kupplungsflänsche / plaque d'attelage), to protect the couplings and the other parts of the bufferbeam, when hanged on them, during train movements according to the prototype.
3. Airbrake-pipes (Bremssläuche / Accouplement de frein) out of brass casting (Messingguß), from WEINERT HO (1: 87).
4. UIC - Shunting-steps (Rangierertritte) out of etched nickel/silver parts, from ÜDO BOHNLEIN HO (1: 87).
5. Shunting handrails (Rangierergriffe): I used already bended brass handrails of 0,3mm-diameter (WEINERT HO (1: 87)), in which I have hammered their ends, to make their circular shape as orthogonal and wide. Then I used a needle on my hand-'archimedes'-drill, to make small holes on them, for passing through 0.3mm-brass wire. Then I have soldered the wire, and then I have cut with a smooth cutter (that makes they area that is cut very smooth) the excess. And then I have added them with super glue (but carefully with a needle, for not having excessive glue) below the buffers.
6. High-power buffers (Hochleistungspuffer) out of brass with 65t - Endforce of the bufferplate (according to prototype), from WEIMANN HO (1: 87). This type is constructed only with bufferplates screwed (Pufferteller geschraubt), and their Bufferplate-diameters are: either 450mm = 5.2mm in HO (1: 87) and 340mm = 4.3mm in HO (1: 87) (i.e. DB Taems890, DB Es), and they have a length of: 620mm to prototype.
7. Buffer plates before buffers (Spannplatte) out of brass castings (Messingguß), from WEIMANN HO (1: 87).

B. The upgrade of the brake-system (systeme de frein / Bremsanlagen) consists of:
1. Triangle de frein (force) (Bremsdreiecke) and Balancier hauts out of etched brass parts, from WEINERT HO (1: 87).
2. Cylindre du air (Bremszylinder) and Balancier (Bremshebel) out of brass castings (Messingguß), from WEINERT HO (1: 87).
3. 0,5mm - brass wire (laiton fil / Messingdraht) for the connections of the brake-system to the airbrake-pipes (Accouplement de frein / Bremssläuche) from WEINERT.
4. The Distributeur (Steuerventil) is from ROCO HO (1: 87).
5. The Reservoir du air (Luftbehälte) is from ROCO HO (1: 87).
6. Finally the Etriers (Bremsfachschlingen), I have to search and find similar to the prototype, or probably make it out of brass.

C. Exact wheelsets to the prototype:
FREMO : 87 / PROTO: 87 blackened nickel/silver wheelsets - 10,57mm in diameter (type: BA88/72 - construction-year after 1972) from WEIMANN HO (1: 87) = 920mm exactly to the prototype.

As you see in the last pic of the prototype in the railway station of Thiva (December 2012), the coupling is ''missing'' / stolen, but the hook is there.. Thank God.. They don't take care our rolling stock and infrastructure at all in Greece as you know...

I like greek train models, because they are unique, but unfortunately, this is the only greek model, I've got until now. In the future, I will get some more and upgraded by PROTO: 87 stnadards.

I saw all your posts, and I learn more about greek rolling-stock. They are very helpful.

Thank you very much for watching

Dimitris
Last edited by Dimitris on Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:10 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Dimitris

Re: OSE refrigerator wagons

Postby GAZKGK » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:12 pm

As i can see..... your model is Ψ3 01 73 824 0 264-6 .....

Lets see the real one ... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: at Nea Magnisia, Thessaloniki

Ψ3 01 73 824 0 264-6 (ΜΑΓΝΗΣΙΑ) - Αντίγραφο.JPG
GAZKGK

Postby BarbaPanagos » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:18 pm

Hi Dimitris, welcome on board!

Thanks for all the info and photos, although it's over my modeling skills I always enjoy such great efforts. I think Andreas is going surely to appreciate your great work :D

edit OK, now you know who has all the info about the real thing ;)
BarbaPanagos

Postby Dimitris » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:22 am

Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

Actually, I also forgot to say, that the refrigerator wagon, also needs new handrails (Griffstangen) on the sides of the bodyshell, as well as 2 of them on the part of the bodyshell, where the bridge (Bremsbühne) is. They can be constructed by 0.3mm - brass wire. However, the ends with the holes, will recieve 0.2mm brass-wire and not a 0.3mm one.

I prefer metal parts, more than plastic to do rail modelling, but even plastic parts are OK to me.

Thanx

Dimitris
Dimitris

Postby Dimitris » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:55 pm

Hello again people and good morning.

I sent you some pics of my own constructed shunting handrails by bended brass handrails of 0,3mm-diameter (WEINERT HO (1: 87)).

I repeat how I constructed the handrails (please see the last paragraph): I used already bended brass handrails of 0,3mm-diameter (WEINERT HO (1: 87)), in which I have hammered their ends, to make their circular shape as orthogonal and wide. Then I used a needle on my hand-'archimedes'-drill, to make small halls of them, for passing through 0.3mm-brass wire. Then I have soldered the wire, and then I have cut with a smooth cutter (that makes they area that is cut very smooth) the excess. And then I have added them with super glue (but carefully with a needle, for not having excessive glue) below the buffers. In freight wagons, i.e. Taems890 with MINDEN/SIEGEN bogies from ROCO HO (1: 87), one an additional 0,3mm - diameter brass wire needed, with its end hammered orthogonal, and soldered too, to the already soldered handrail for each of the 4 handrails. It has different handrails that are screwed on wires that are hanged below the buffers. Most of the new freight european cars have those. In the old ones, like the refrigerator car, their are either screwed or nailed below the buffers.

Thanx for watching

Regards

Dimitris
Dimitris

Postby BalkanExpress » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:12 pm

What an interesting string this one about the refrigerator wagons Ψ3.

Can we say we're talking about the most representative freight wagon of the greek railways? Ψ's wagons are present in every yard, scrap yard and siddings all over Greece. Even more; since you get involved with the greek railways, you can see those white wagons everywhere.

Is very representative that an international made as ROCO, made corrections to the tipical german refigerator wagon to create a similar reproduction of the greek Ψ3 (apart to those fantastical addings that Dimitris show us how to improve). Two references ROCO 47056 and ROCO 47056.1 were made. I think they represent the same wagon with the same numeration, isn't it?

frigo.jpeg
ROCO 47056

And what about the Ψ1. Is there any similar model to get transformed?

Does any Ψ2 frigo wagon exists?

Regards

BalkanExpress
BalkanExpress

Re: OSE refrigerator wagons Ψ

Postby Dimitris » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:56 pm

Hi,

I don't know from which refrigerator wagon in HO (I wish I could find one), we may transform a Ψ1 or Ψ2, however I post some pics of the prototype Ψ2 in the station of Thiva (December 2012).

I like Ψ2 a lot.

Thanx for watching

Dimitris
Last edited by Dimitris on Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dimitris

Re: OSE Ψ refrigerators - Model upgrading & details

Postby Dimitris » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:08 am

For the Ibbehs / Ψ3:

The brake-releaser / Lösezüge is already installed. WEINERT, Art.Nr.: 92704

Image Agios Ioannis Rentis - 02.10.2013

Thanx

Dimitri
Dimitris

Postby Dimitris » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:24 pm

Some more detailed photos of Ψ3, that my godmother gave me second-hand.

I also did some corrections to the 2 UIC-steps. Taken from mobile-phone.

Finally, presentation of both model and prototype for the horizontal-balancers - connected to the brake-cylinder (red-arrows), and the vertical balancers - above the middle of each axle of the wheelsets and connected to the "triangles of the brakes" (triangle de fren / Bremsdreiecke) (blue-arrows).
ImageΨ3 "burnt" Thiva railway station, 05.01.2013
ImageΨ3 824 0227-3, Rentis, 02.10.2013
ImageΣ1 40 73 82750330 ballast hopper, Rentis, 02.10.2013

Thanx

Dimitri
Dimitris

Postby Dimitris » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:28 pm

Same correction to the coupling-springs done to Ψ3.

Also, the buffer-plank, from the side without the "bridge", is painted white according to prototype.

Repeat: Thiva railway station, December 2012

Thanx

Dimitris
Dimitris

Next

Return to Members Modelling Projects, Layouts & Collections