"Gagarin"

"Gagarin"

Postby BalkanExpress » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:14 am

Good mornig to all forum members, specially if you're on holidays. Here I am some people on guard just to keep forum alive!

Watching on Youtube the video «ΚΑΠΟΤΕ ΥΠΗΡΧΕ ΜΙΑ ΑΘΗΝΑ» - HTS & GKP Documentary, from The Hellenic Trainspotters' channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUaGLupccpY

When talking about the situation of narrow gauge network close to Athens, we can see when passing Agios Anargyroi station (please confirm with picture below) some stock.

Nueva imagen (14).jpg
Agios Anargyroi narrow¬contineltal network station

I can't guess what it is, after visiting diesel narrow gauge stock in this forum.

Nueva imagen (15).jpg
Narrow gauge stock

I think it's a good idea to open new topics about this material

regards

BalkanExpress
Last edited by BalkanExpress on Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
BalkanExpress

Re: Steam Locomotive Identification

Postby Andreas » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:03 pm

Hi Adelardo,

first of all it is the old mixed gauge station of "Agioi Anargyroi".

The steam loco is an USATC S-118 and it is more detailed Da 7108 that run some steam specials in the 90s

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USATC_S118_Class

The other one is a "hybrid" steam chassis with a diesel engine. It used a chassis from a Bs steam locomotive (2-4-0) and was equiped with a Sulzer 320hp 12 cylinder engine and a diesel hydraulic gearbox from a De Dietrich railcar. The conversion was done in the Lefka Workshop under the supervision of SPAP chief engineer Vyron Papageorgiou late 50s or begining of 60s (I cant remeber and must look it up).

Cheers
Andreas
Andreas

Re: Locomotive Identification

Postby BalkanExpress » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:17 pm

Thank you Andreas.

All corrections about the station done. The name "Anargyroi" is not so usual in the 'sanctoral cathaloge' here in Spain, so, reading 'Ana...', I understood 'Anas...tassis'...great mistake.

Thank you for the identification of that vehicle. It seem so curious. I hope all you can share more pictures of it to 'watch it in action? and renme the topic.

Regards

BalkanExpress
BalkanExpress

Re: Locomotive Identification

Postby jsimantov » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:28 am

Hi folks,

Just to add a few details to Andreas's reply.

This locomotive was nicknamed 'Gagarin' since its building (conversion, kitbashing or whatever) roughly coincided with Yuri Gagarin's first flight to space in 1961.

Since it was a low-powered unit, built in order to investigate if a conversion of steam locomotives to diesel could be interesting, its first assignment was a fast Piraeus-Patra service (an 'Hypertakheia') consisting of Gagarin and two Breda Coaches, which lasted well into the 60s, at least until the arrival of the ALCOs. Unfortunately I don't have more details about the timetables, but I recall having seen it in the middle 60s approaching the Corinth Canal station ('Isthmos').

The last years of service saw Gagarin running the Lefktron-Megalopolis local with one coach.

Strangely enough, Gagarin had a good reputation among SPAP railwaymen mostly due to the quality of its engine; it remained in service practically until the early 80s and its definitive withdrawal came when, it literally committed suicide! one day, it was running idle at the Piraeus roundhouse when it started on its own initiative and fell into the turntable pit (obviously the turntable track was facing a different slot...)

It's my personal point of view, but I believe Gagarin should be preserved; it's part of our Railway history; as it usually happened in the History of our Nation, it was a personal initiative from Ing. Papageorgiou (btw, they were a family of engineers), which was not continued for various reasons...

Cheers,

Iossif
jsimantov

Re: "Gagarin"

Postby BarbaPanagos » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:48 am

old ΣΠΑΠ Gagarin drawing and data sheet posted by George Gbidis at the fb

Δηζελαμαξα D-Bs 320-01 (Γκαγκαριν) Gbidis.jpg

1962, Gagarin on the Pireus-Kiparissia train at Pirgos, posted by G. Nathenas at the fb as well

1962, Gagarin on the Pireus-Kiparissia train at Pirgos, photo G. Nathenas.jpg
BarbaPanagos

Postby christo » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:09 am

some info of the above photo:

Winkworth, D. W. (May 1967). "Peloponnese Narrow Gauge". The Railway Magazine (London, UK: Transport & Technical Publications Ltd.) 113 (793): 249–254.

christo.
christo
Site Admin

Postby BalkanExpress » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:25 am

Good morning,

I've found a beautiful picture of that lovely 'machine'

IMG_7114.JPG
Gagarin on SPAP turntable, Athens. Picture seen on Facebook
BalkanExpress

Postby BarbaPanagos » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:55 am