Nonda's paper modelling projects

Nonda's paper modelling projects

Postby Nondas » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:41 pm

Hello dear friends and modellers!

I open this new topic, to present to you my modelling projects.
For those who do not know me, my name is Nondas Moyzes, and i use an unusual method for scratchbuilding Greek trains in HO scale, paper modelling.

As a raifan i am more interested in post-war Greek prototype, focusing in my favorite era, the legendary 90's.
As a CAD designer, also by hobby , i have been designing dwg drawings of Greek rolling stock, for 15 years, having created a considerable drawing database.
I started creating paper models of coaches and wagons since 2009, as an alternative way to construct HO models, not available in the market as company-made models.
As the infamous Greek economic crisis was progressing over the years, and inevitably money for model trains became mose scarse, I focused more and more on my paper modelling projects as the only affordable way of having decent models of our beloved prototypes, instead of waiting for better times.
Some two years ago, I have opened a group on facebook named "paper model factory", presenting there my projects.
Last summer, I started a project of redesigning and upgrading older models, in order to publish them as a kit in a printable pdf format.

First series to be published, is the family of passenger coaches of the UIC-Y design, made by GOSA, in ex-Yugoslavia, now Serbia.
This is the very first coach-family, i started designing back in 2009, having in mind, the huge variety of color and type versions of these coaches in service with the Yugoslav railways JZ, coaches, also present in the Greek network as part of "Akropolis", "Hellas", "Venezia", and other legendary international trains.

The model, can be made using mostly inexpensive household materials, such as cardboard and wood.
The most expensive part of the model is the running gear, and coupling devices.
Here there are two possible options, using conventional coupling bogies (coupling bar in one piece with the bogie), or close coupling.
Most trouble free in running is of course the conventional version, which can easily negotiate 350mm radius R1 curves, even in "S" form, and is the only version "guaranteed" for Marklin "rough" track design.
In "close coupling" versions, you might use my own desinged close coupling kinematic mechanism, or for shorter UIC-Y coaches (282mm in HO), you can also use close coupling mechanisms from Symoba , model 101+103.
All bogies that you will find in my shapeways shop, are also home-designed. There are usually 4 possible material options, versatile plastic being less accurate but more robust, detail plastic being more suitable for demanding modellers, but more fragile.
In order to keep costs as low as possible, i designed the bogies to be easily interchangable, using always the same bogie bolster height, and diameter. This way, i do not really need expensive bogies for all possible versions of wagons i might make, having only a small "pool" of bogies according to the maximum number of the same bogie-type coaches possible to be found in a typical train composition.

To begin with, i will upload the OSE versions, and continue with the Yugoslav ones.
The instructions manual has been subject to exceptional attention, as the construction method will be basically the same on most of the passenger coaches types to be uploaded in the future, using the same code numbers and same parts, only different cutting design, in order to facilitate model construction.

Special thanks goes to the forum balkanmodels.biz for using his photo database, this redesign was possible.

Consider trying making some of them!

Cheers

Nondas

UIC-Y_GOSA_Kit_OSE_BRm777.pdf
(1.79 MiB) Downloaded 90 times

UIC-Y_GOSA_Kit_OSE_BRm773.pdf
(1.78 MiB) Downloaded 68 times

UIC-Y_GOSA_Kit_OSE_BRm771.pdf
(1.77 MiB) Downloaded 65 times

UIC-Y_GOSA_Kit_OSE_BRm745.pdf
(1.72 MiB) Downloaded 69 times

UIC-Y_GOSA_Kit_OSE_BRm742.pdf
(1.72 MiB) Downloaded 69 times

UIC-Y_GOSA_Kit_OSE_Bcm026.pdf
(1.67 MiB) Downloaded 72 times

UIC-Y_GOSA_Kit_OSE_Bcm017.pdf
(1.67 MiB) Downloaded 67 times

UIC-Y_GOSA_Kit_OSE_Bcm015.pdf
(1.65 MiB) Downloaded 74 times
Nondas

Re: Nonda's paper modelling projects

Postby christo » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:27 am

An excellent offering Nondas, many thanks.

christo.
christo
Site Admin

Postby Nondas » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:22 am

Here you will find the kit construction manual.
It is the basic construction method, which will be the same also for future designs (VEB, Polish Cegielcki Poznan, Romanian ARAD, etc)

Instructions KIT UIC-Y.pdf
(10.49 MiB) Downloaded 82 times
Nondas

Postby christo » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:02 am

A-ma-zing :shock: parer micro engineering!

christo.
christo
Site Admin

Postby JohnP » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:03 pm

Nonda does spectacular work.
I have a bunch of his Kioleidika coaches and the engineering and detail are truly impressive! They stand up well to plastic models. And he’s a great guy who really knows his trains. Here is a picture of a Nondas’ designed and built ADmz inside a real ADmz on my recent visit to Greece. :D
https://instagram.com/p/BmkluCDFZ9j/
JohnP

Postby christo » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:02 pm

Nonda,

Are these Kioleidika carriages freeware? If so please upload.

christo.
christo
Site Admin

Postby Nondas » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:12 am

Christo, these specific Kioleidika that my friend has, are not freeware, they are part of a batch, of coaches that I sold ready assembled by me. They represent a more advanced version (version "Mk3b" in my classification system) than the ones that I already offer for free in the internet (which are version Mk2 without glazing in the windows). I do have in mind to release a free version of these improved Kioleidida, but not as detailed, as the version for sale, and the reason is, simply because the ones I assembled and sold, were prepared with the help of an automatic cutter.
As i do not expect anyone here to have such a machine , i prepare my paper kits so that they can be constructed only by hand tools.
For example, the free version can't have some very tiny holes or hooks in the solebar because, they can't be cut by hand. (At least I didn't managed to succed).
For now, the Mk2 version is available in my facebook group together with the construction manual, which is unfortunately not in pdf form, but as a photo album, in the group's section.
Until I prepare and upload the "Mk3" free version of kioleidika, be patient!
Cheers

Nondas
Nondas

Postby christo » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:40 am

Thanks for the clarification.

christo.
christo
Site Admin

Postby Nondas » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:55 am

Here are some photos of assembled models of the uploaded kits.

BRm777.jpg
Composite 2nd class - Bar in "intercity" livery BRm 777

BRm745b.jpg
Bottom view of BRm 745

BRm745.jpg
Composite 2nd class - Restaurant BRm 745

Bcm026c.jpg
Bottom view of Bcm 026

Bcm026b.jpg
Couchette Bcm 026 detail

Bcm026a.jpg
Couchette Bcm 026

Bcm017.jpg
Couchette Bcm 017
Nondas

Postby BarbaPanagos » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:16 pm

Thanks Nonda, it's great to have the files and all the details in here!
Your recent models are dramatically improved than the older ones! I'm looking forward to have a presentation of your AEG.

please give us the link for your shapeways creations.

P.S. for whoever does not know Nondas, he is the guy of whose the List (Nondas' List) I have mentioned so many times :D

BarbaPanagos

Next

Return to Members Modelling Projects, Layouts & Collections