SPAP 4-axled ''RAVDOTA'': ΒΒΔ 869-879, ΒΒΔ 881-889 (etc.)

Re: SPAP ''RAVDOTA''

Postby Georgegala » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:49 am

Believe me, these carriages are in better condition than expected.Especially the inside.....
Σ.Π.Α.Π. FOR EVER
Georgegala

Re: SPAP ''RAVDOTA'': ΒΒΔ 869-879, ΒΒΔ 881-889 (etc.)

Postby GAZKGK » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:44 pm

Technically and etymologically, the - unofficial - term "Ραβδωτά" (referring to the lateral 'ribs' (ραβδώσεις) formed by the joints of the adjacent roof covering metal sheets of these coaches, a technique extensively used by SPAP during the 1950s) would include the majority of post-war coaches that were rebuilt after WW II. However, as this is a rather complicated topic about a large number of vehicles of different designs and backgrounds, I believe we should keep this topic focused on a narrower amplitude. Hence I named it according to the two of the most known 4-axled 'ravdota' types - the ones the term is more often used to describe.

To begin with, both of them are the result of the extensive post-war coach rebuilds that took place between 1949 and 1952 at the Central Works of SPAP at Piraeus and mainly included the installation of new wooden bodies with metal sheet coating and closed balconies, entirely built by SPAP Works as a developed version of the 1913 NWFG body. Their difference here, was what each group of them would use as a base.

Repaired former 1st-2nd class, 3rd class, and Restaurant coaches, originally built by Nesselsdorfer Wagenbau in 1913 were the ones that formed the first type. Initially sharing two different underframe designs, the rebuilt coaches had some differences in their dimensions, but as the 1949-1952 Piraeus Works body was based on their original body, their overall look was quite similar to their original one. 11 of them were rebuilt, numbered ΓΓΔ 869-879, later ΒΒΔ 869-879 and then Βφπτ 869-879.

The second type, on the other hand, was a mixture of much more heavily converted older "πλαγιόπορτα" ('side-doored') coaches: Now the base for the Piraeus Works bodies would be provided by narrower underframes of diverse backgrounds, different manufacturers (Belgian, French, Austrohungarian...) and years of manufacture, that were elongated / shortened at Piraeus until relatively close dimensions were achieved, and were repaired using whatever beams and parts had survived or could be found in repairable condition from the even more destroyed passenger and freight stock. Nine of them were finally built and they were numbered ΓΓΔ 881-889, later ΒΒΔ 881-889, and then Βφπτ 881-889.

What resulted were two optically very similar groups of coaches, with each unit being unique, with its own dimensions and other characteristics... We should not forget though, that was the majority of what recovered the railway in the Peloponnese, from the rolling stock perspective, from the deep wounds of WW II, and continued to serve for another 30 years, approximately, until 1980.

Considering the means and conditions under which all these Railway Men worked to successfully achieve such a difficult and extensive task, please allow me, to call them heroes, without whom it would be very doubtful if any of us would had ever seen any train running in the Peloponnese.

Similarly, the same is true for the other Railway companies... but each one of these cases has its own unique history and deserves its own topic, I believe.

Following is a pair of photos..:

Βφπτ 876 at Tripolis, the last vehicle ever 871 visible next to it, was coupled with... Some minutes later, the pair was uncoupled and 871 was broken up on the spot.

DSC_0716.JPG

ex- Βφπτ 884, converted to a maintenance train sleeping carriage, as many examples of the 881-889 series. Note the narrower underframe, as a result of the side-doored carriage it came from.

DSC_0442.JPG
GAZKGK

Re: SPAP 4-axled ''RAVDOTA'': ΒΒΔ 869-879, ΒΒΔ 881-889 (etc.)

Postby Georgegala » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:43 pm

What about the others with the rubber connection (φυσούνα) that could also be seen in both Peloponnese and Thessaly?Where they built in the same way?Or they were bought after the war?

And something else;
When did the SPAP restaurant cars stop service?Can they be found now?The only thing I know is that they were used by CIWL.
Σ.Π.Α.Π. FOR EVER
Georgegala

Postby GAZKGK » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:51 pm

Georgegala wrote:What about the others with the rubber connection (φυσούνα) that could also be seen in both Peloponnese and Thessaly?Where they built in the same way?Or they were bought after the war?

You are talking about the Marchettis, which were 'bought' as part of the Italian War Reparations after WW II, in 1952. The elastic connection (ελαστικοί σωλήνες) you mentioned was a later addition to the majority of them.

Georgegala wrote:When did the SPAP restaurant cars stop service?

That is a mystery, but I would guess during the War.

Georgegala wrote:Can they be found now?

What I can assure you of, is that at least since 1952 they do not exist as Restaurant cars.
GAZKGK

Postby Georgegala » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:07 pm

Last edited by Georgegala on Wed May 30, 2018 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Σ.Π.Α.Π. FOR EVER
Georgegala

Postby Georgegala » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:34 am

And the wagons in Kalamata Depot are;

Nesseldorf ΒΒΔ869 1886 rebuilt after the war
Jan Weizer ΒΒΔ 886 1907 rebuilt after the war
ΒΒΔ0035 Verdau-Nie-Der-Sachsen 1925 rebuilt about 1990
Σ.Π.Α.Π. FOR EVER
Georgegala

Previous

Return to Greek Narrow Gauge Passenger Carriages